
A few nights ago I was lying in bed with John Mark and we were talking about how JP and I were going to donate blood the next day. He asked why he couldn't donate blood and I tried to explain to him about volume and oxygen delivery and all that good stuff. He finally said "Mom I'm not really getting this". I told him that was okay, he didn't really NEED to understand it all! He asked me how I know about all that stuff which led to a conversation about my love of medicine and the human body. I told him that God made me to love to study those things and I love to teach him about those things. He then got "the serious" look on his face. Here's our conversation after that:
JM: Mom, how do I know what God wants me to be?
Mom: Well, you pray and study and someday He'll show you. But you don't really have to worry about that now because you are six.
JM: I think God wants me to be a vet.
Mom: Okay, if that's what He wants I think that's great!
JM: (long pause) But Mom, what if I don't get into vet school
Mom: John Mark, you really don't have to worry about that when you are six.
JM: But Mom, Nicky Hackett (family friend who is 20!!!) says that vet school is harder to get into than medical school and I don't know if I can do it.
Mom: John Mark, that's a long way off and I know that you can do it.
JM: What if you are having hard times though and we don't have the money to pay for vet school? Then what do I do?
Mom: Seriously? Are you really worried about these things? John Mark you are SIX! That is a long time from now.
JM: But this is the stuff I worry about Mom.
Seriously people??? What do I have to look forward to when he is 16?

No comments:
Post a Comment