Thursday, March 18, 2010

Lent


No I am not Catholic. But for the past few years I have been "giving something up for Lent". I'm not doing it because I have to, but because it is good for me to "fast" from things that are not necessarily good in my life. Not necessarily bad, but not necessarily good. Last year, I fasted from candy and Target. Neither of those things by themselves are bad things...in moderation. But in excess....well that's a different story.

So this year I decided to give up Facebook. I don't think Facebook is a bad thing. It keeps me connected with my friends. It has reconnected me with friends I have not seen in 20 years. It's where I can see what people are up to and see pictures of their families. It is a good thing...in moderation. The problem is, Facebook can be a terrible waste of time. I have found myself spending hours looking through people's profiles when there are plenty of things to be done around my house. Hence, the need for a fast.

For awhile it was easy. But now I am really starting to miss it. I feel disconnected. What is going on in the world? How is my friend Melanie's first pregnancy going (Melanie from CT not Melanie from TN!!!) When will I get to see picture's of Julie's trip to Thailand? Argghh! I have 16 more days of this fast. It cannot come soon enough. I think I will spend all of Easter afternoon with my laptop and a big basket of candy!

No comments: