Sunday, March 1, 2009

Lent and a Sabbath Rest

This week marked the beginning of Lent. I am not Catholic, but when I was in college I started giving something up for lent. It was part personal challenge, part act of faith. Once I graduated I pretty much stopped participating in the "giving something up for Lent" ritual. But this year I decided to give something up. It is based on the fact that I have realized how much I really have and how little I really have to sacrifice.

So after much pondering, I decided to give up candy and Target. I love candy....all kinds. Chocolate or fruity or gummy or sour. It does not matter. Candy is a weakness. Especially when I am either at work or driving home from work. So giving up candy is a sacrifice.

I am also giving up shopping at Target. It is not a political statement about Target, it is simply that Target is a temptation for me. I cannot seem to get out of there without spending at least $100! And most of it is stuff we "need", but there is always that stuff I "want" or "just could not live without but never knew it". And especially with all of the renovations that are going on in our home, I have been at Target a lot lately. So sorry Target...I'll see you again in 6 weeks!

I am hoping that through making these sacrifices, I will be able to focus on the Lenten season and preparing to celebrate the whole reason for my faith. Easter is the greatest day of the year as we celebrate our Savior's resurrection. Without this day, everything would be meaningless! So I am trying to focus on that instead of focusing on me.

Ironically, I decided not to go to church today. I just needed a Sabbath rest. I hate that getting to church always seems like a difficult stressful thing for me. Getting up and getting the kids and myself ready in time is always crazy. I wish that I could peacefully enter church prepared for worship each week. But usually I cannot. And this week I just could not face it. I have been working more lately and have been extremely tired. Top that with potty training, renovations, cleaning, laundry, cranky kids, headaches and foot pain, I was ready for a day of rest. And that is what the Sabbath was designed for wasn't it? So I am at home, enjoying a day of restfully getting some stuff done and my life back in order. And a day of having my own time with the Lord. I don't think He minds that I didn't make it to church.

No comments: