We woke up to a soggy morning. It had rained the night before. But no worries, Nana had special crafts for the kids. They made picture frames with sticks they had collected on our hike. Meanwhile, I took on the project of taking all of the old photos out of the non-safe albums and sorting them by year. I scanned a bunch (stay tuned for a preview when I get them organized!!). Then I took on the HUGE undertaking of setting my dad up with a Facebook. Watch out...I'm sure he'll be addicted soon!
In the afternoon, we decided to hike to Auger Falls (something I had not done since I was a kid).
Another travel day. I packed up and picked up Nana's house and then we all headed out to Gloversville (the closest town to where my parents live that has any modern amenities) which is 45 minutes away. Papa took us out to Friendly's for lunch. I miss Friendly's. I grew up with Friendly's. I'm glad we got the chance to take the kids. Then the kids and I got in the car to head to Connecticut. A little Dramamine for everyone (except me!) made the ride a lot more bearable. We hit a lot of traffic in Hartford but I didn't mind. It was good to be back in the city. I was already missing living in Connecticut and I had only been back for 20 minutes!
We got to Farmington where my best friend (and JP's sister) Vera lives. She wasn't home from work yet, so we hung out til she got home. Then her daughters Lexie and Bailey and her husband Rick got home. What a great reunion! Lexie had plans (of course...she's 15!) but the rest of us went out to dinner at Chili's (I really wanted to go to Bertucci's but there was an hour wait!). Then home for some Turkey Hill Chocolate Peanut Butter ice cream. I love getting things that I can't get back in TN! The kids went to bed super late but hey, it's vacation!
Day 11
The kids were up early (much to the chagrin of Lexie and Bailey) but we just hung around the house for awhile. I love lazy Saturdays. We had pancakes for brunch and then headed out to tour Simsbury, the town where I grew up. We went to Flamig Farm (the EGG farm for all those who know!) to see the animals.
Then we went to Tulmeadow Farm for the best homemade ice cream ever.
Then we drove by my old house
and one of JP's old houses.
Didn't have time to see his other house because we were on a time crunch. I did have to stop by Vincent's Sport Shop to pick up "Simsbury shirts". I have been wanting one forever!
Then on to Lexie's soccer game and trying to watch the kids so they did not run onto the soccer field. That was a little stressful but Lexie won! Then Vera and Rick wanted me to cook dinner (which I love to do and they hate to do!), so Vera and I went to get groceries. Even doing the mundane things of life are fun when I'm with her! Then I made dinner and dessert for a very appreciative audience. We had planned to head up to Rick and Vera's lake house in the Berkshires after dinner. But then Rick asked Vera and I if we wanted to go by ourselves while he stayed with the kids. OF COURSE!! His real motivation was watching the Red Sox (there is no TV at their lake house!) but that didn't matter. Vera and I got to drive up together, hang out, and then go to bed with no kids in the house! Pure heaven!!
Day 12
I got to sleep in til 9:30! I haven't done that in ages! Vera and I had our morning coffee sitting on the porch over looking the lake. The water was so still and there was a beautiful reflection of the mountains on the lake. It was so peaceful. Rick and the kids arrived around 10:30 and we all had breakfast of the yummiest french toast ever! (I'll give you the recipe if you want!). Then John Mark and Rick went out in the kyak
and all of the girls went for a walk around the lake. The weather was beautiful and it was so good to be with the Polaceks.
We stayed with them until mid-afternoon and then headed back to Acton, MA to spend the last two days with Wendy.

1 comment:
1. Wow...seriously sounds like you're having the funnest time ever.
2. You need to get back home now, because I don't like the way the "north" is sucking you in :)
3. I LOVE the look of your new blog...super jealous. I need to know how you did it
4. Can't WAIT to see you guys soon!
Post a Comment