I know I have been slacking on the blogging lately. I could sit here and give you a million excuses, but you don't want to hear them...do you? The truth is that our family has expanded. No, I am not pregnant (thank goodness!!). But here's the story....
A few weeks ago, our friend Meredith (who runs Against the Grain ministries) posted on Facebook that she had a single mom and her three year old who were being evicted and needed a place to stay. JP showed me the status and gave me that look...the "we need to do something about this" look. I knew right away what we needed to do. After reading Frances Chan's book Crazy Love this past spring, I have really felt convicted in my response to all that God has done for me. If He loves me enough to create this world, bless me with a loving family and home, and MOST importantly, sacrifice His own son for me, what kind of response do I need to have? Is just saying that I believe in Him, going to church, giving my tithe, praying for the poor...all that "good stuff"...enough? The resounding answer in my heart was "Heck No!". I felt the need to put some actions with my words.
So here is God, presenting me with the opportunity to put my words into action. I'd like to say that I was jumping up and down at the opportunity, but honestly, I wasn't. JP and I prayed about what we should do in response to this need. The answer was extremely clear right there in front of us. Clear though does not mean easy. When God brings you out of your comfort zone and you are standing there vulnerable, it is HARD. We met with Rob and Meredith and A (I'll keep her anonymity here) on a Monday at lunch time. On Monday afternoon I was panicking. Then my good friend Heather spoke some "God-sense" into me and I was back on track. Tuesday I spent packing up Riley's room. I put all of her "stuff" into big Rubbermaid tubs and put them in the attic. I felt sick looking at all that "stuff" she obviously doesn't need as she has not missed any of it yet. On Wednesday, A and her son T moved in.
It has been an adjustment. We have gone from a family of 4 to a family of 6. We are trying to blend parenting. The kids are trying to get used to "instant siblings". A has been looking for a job, meeting with DHS, and trying to get back on her feet. But God is here in this home. It is kind of like when you are pregnant and getting ready to have that new member of your family. You know it is going to be "hard" to be a parent...but you don't really know what "hard" means until you are in the throws of things. This IS hard. People have told us we are crazy. They look at you with a blank stare when you tell them the situation. But, just like parenting, "hard" comes with a reward. The reward is seeing a smile on T's face when JP walks in the door after work. Or when A asks me to go with her to a doctor's appointment because she wants someone there with her. We are not in this for the "rewards" or "God's blessing". We are in this because we are trying to be obedient. My friend Melanie shared this quote on her Facebook page last night. I love it! "Stop asking God to bless what you're doing. Get involved in what HE'S doing--because it's already blessed. And God, as I said, is with the poor. That's what I believe God is doing. And what He's calling US to do." -- Bono. So here we are...just getting involved.
Please pray for A and T. Pray that they will see God and turn to Him. Pray that A will find a job and stable housing. Pray that we will ALL be changed by there time in our home.
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
This is why your family will always be my family! I'm sitting here with an overflowing heart! Your willingness to serve your neighbor and be Jesus to our community is amazing! I love you guys and I'll see you in a week!
you guys are my heroes...thank you for being Jesus to those two. And I know that you're not doing it so that you can be rewarded but I am praying God's DEEPEST blessings on your family for your faithfulness and obedience to His call!
I'm proud of you guys. It makes my heart glad to think of T's little face excited to see the man of the house come home. You are inspiring.
you guys are amazing
JILL! i can't believe i am so late on this. you did the right think. no blank stares from these robinsons.
Post a Comment